A Plant-Based St. Patricks Day
St. Patrick's Day is a fun day full of green beer, good food and fun! We are bringing you a healthy, oil-free, plant based version of St. Patricks Day so that you can enjoy the good food, guilt-free!
Below, we have our Corned "Beef" Seitan followed by a Beef-Less Stew
Our Corned "Beef" Seitan is adapted from a recipe found on "Sarah's Kitchen"
Corned "Beef" Seitan
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 10 mins
- 1 1/2 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon liquid aminos
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1-2 beets, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon pink salt
1. Mix all dry ingredients together. Set aside.
2. Puree beans with wet ingredients.
3. Boil beets in vegetable broth (this gives added antioxidants and gives the reddish color like corned beef.
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry and combine with a spatula or spoon. Knead until dough is firm and springy.
4. Form dough into rectangular loaf.
5. To bake, place in an oven-safe pot with a lid with 2 cups vegetable broth and 1 tbsp pickling spices. Bake at 350°F, covered, for 1.5 hours, flipping halfway through. Take cover off during last 30 mins to firm up.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 1.5 hours
- 1 slice large yellow
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 3 stalks large stalks of celery
- 3 large carrots
- 16 ounces button mushrooms
- 2 lbs potatoes cut into
- 2 cups frozen peas thawed
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 Tbl Italian herbs
- 1 Tbl fresh chopped rosemary
- 3 Tbl tamari
- 1/2 Tbl smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- Cracked pepper to taste
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Saute the onion, celery, and carrots in a large soup pot with about 1/4 vegetable stock until they start to soften. Add in the garlic and mushroom and sauté for a few minutes more. ?
- Add in the vegetable stock, water, potatoes, tomato paste, Tamari, herbs, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.?
- Cook covered over medium heat until the potatoes and carrots are tender.?
- Take about 2 cups of the broth with the vegetables and blend in a blender until smooth. ?
- Return the blended sauce to the pot and stir to combine. ADD IN ADDITIONAL BROTH FOR DESIRED CONSITENCY.
- Add in the thawed peas and heat through for about 5 minutes.?
Serve with a whole grain oil-free bread and/or corned beef seitan